Motivation, Goal Setting and Self-Esteem: Building a Positive Attitude
Motivation, goal setting, and self-esteem are three important qualities that help us become confident, disciplined, and successful individuals. They influence the way we think, make decisions, face challenges, and work towards our dreams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9kpNKcjYMs1. Impact of Values and Attitudes
Imagine your life as a vast ocean and your values as a compass. A compass gives direction to a traveller; similarly, our values give direction to our lives.
Values are the beliefs and principles that are important to us. They develop through our experiences with our family, education, community, friends, and culture.
For example, if you value honesty, you are more likely to be truthful even when telling the truth is difficult. If you value learning, you may continuously try to improve your knowledge and skills.
Understanding your values helps you:
- Make better decisions.
- Set meaningful goals.
- Understand what is truly important to you.
- Avoid blindly following other people's expectations.
- Give direction to your personal and professional life.
Think About It
Ask yourself:
What are the five values that are most important to me?
Examples: Honesty, family, success, kindness, freedom, knowledge, creativity, discipline, or service.
2. Goals and Motivation
Your goals are like lighthouses guiding your journey.
However, a goal becomes more powerful when it is connected with your personal values.
For example, imagine a student who does not enjoy swimming but joins the swimming team only because their father expects them to continue the family legacy. The student may find it difficult to remain motivated.
On the other hand, if a student genuinely enjoys swimming and dreams of becoming a professional swimmer, training becomes meaningful.
Therefore:
When your goals match your values, motivation becomes stronger.
Your goal may be related to:
- Personal growth
- Education
- Career
- Health
- Creativity
- Financial independence
- Helping others
- Social contribution
3. Developing a Positive Approach
A person's attitude can influence both their own life and the people around them.
A constantly negative person may:
- Complain frequently.
- Blame others.
- Criticize themselves.
- Focus only on problems.
- Lose motivation easily.
A positive person does not mean someone who never faces problems. Rather, a positive person tries to look for solutions instead of remaining stuck in the problem.
Negative Thinking vs Positive Thinking
| Negative Approach | Positive Approach |
|---|---|
| "I can't do this." | "I can learn how to do this." |
| "This is impossible." | "Let me find another way." |
| "Everyone is better than me." | "I can improve myself." |
| "I always fail." | "I can learn from this failure." |
| "It's not my fault." | "What can I do differently?" |
A positive attitude builds energy, resilience, confidence, and motivation.
4. Mindset Matters
Our mindset is the way we think about ourselves, other people, and situations.
If you constantly say:
"I am not good enough."
"I will never succeed."
"I am terrible at English."
you may gradually begin to believe these statements.
Instead, replace negative self-talk with constructive statements:
- "I can improve with practice."
- "I may make mistakes, but I can learn from them."
- "I am becoming more confident."
- "I can take one step at a time."
Remember:
Change your self-talk → Change your mindset → Change your actions.
A positive mindset does not mean pretending that everything is perfect. It means believing that you can respond to difficulties constructively.
5. Developing a Winning Attitude
Successful people do not succeed only because they have talent. They also develop a winning attitude.
A winning attitude means:
- Focusing on improvement.
- Learning from mistakes.
- Avoiding unnecessary negativity.
- Appreciating your strengths.
- Setting clear goals.
- Remaining disciplined.
- Encouraging yourself and others.
Start your day by thinking about what you want to accomplish. Visualise your goals and identify one practical action you can take towards them.
Also, be careful about the words you use. Gossip, constant criticism, and negative self-talk consume energy. Use words that encourage growth.
6. How Do We Become Motivated?
Motivation is not something that suddenly appears. It can be developed through action.
There are five important steps to motivation.
Step 1: Recognise Your Desire
First, identify what you genuinely want.
Ask yourself:
What do I really want to achieve in my life?
Write down your top five desires related to areas such as:
- Education
- Career
- Relationships
- Health
- Financial goals
- Personal development
Step 2: Face Your Fear
Fear can stop us from taking action.
You may fear:
- Failure
- Rejection
- Public speaking
- Meeting new people
- Trying something unfamiliar
- Making mistakes
Identify your fear and ask:
Is this fear realistic, or am I allowing it to control me?
Then take one small step towards facing it.
For example, if you are afraid of public speaking, begin by speaking for one minute in front of your friends.
Step 3: Move Beyond Your Comfort Zone
The comfort zone feels safe, but staying there permanently can limit growth.
Try something new:
- Talk to someone you have never spoken to.
- Join a new activity.
- Volunteer for a classroom presentation.
- Learn a new skill.
- Try a new method of studying.
Remember:
Growth begins when we are willing to do something slightly uncomfortable.
Step 4: Become a Goal-Setter
Set goals in different areas of your life.
For example:
| Area | Goal |
|---|---|
| Education | Improve my English vocabulary |
| Health | Exercise for 30 minutes daily |
| Career | Learn one professional skill this semester |
| Finance | Save a fixed amount every month |
| Social | Participate actively in group discussions |
| Personal | Read one book every month |
Write your goals down. A goal that exists only in your mind can easily become a wish.
Step 5: Become Disciplined
Motivation may get you started, but discipline helps you continue.
If you have abandoned a goal in the past, ask yourself:
- Why did I stop?
- What obstacles did I face?
- What can I do differently this time?
- Who can support me?
- What daily action can I take?
Create a simple plan and follow it consistently.
7. Characteristics of Attainable Goals
Not every goal is a good goal. An effective goal should be reasonable, believable, measurable, adaptable, and desirable.
| Characteristic | Meaning | Example |
|---|---|---|
| Reasonable | Possible with your present resources and abilities | Run 4 km in four weeks instead of immediately planning a marathon |
| Believable | You have confidence that you can achieve it | Learn basic English phrases instead of expecting complete fluency immediately |
| Measurable | You can track your progress | Read for 40 minutes every day |
| Adaptable | Can be changed according to circumstances | Improve fitness through walking, gym, yoga, or another suitable activity |
| Desirable | Connected with your interests | Learn baking if you genuinely enjoy it |
A Simple Formula
Good Goal = Clear + Realistic + Measurable + Meaningful
8. Understanding Self-Esteem
Self-esteem is the way we value and perceive ourselves.
Healthy self-esteem means recognising your own worth without depending completely on external approval.
A person with healthy self-esteem can say:
"I have strengths, and I also have areas that I need to improve."
This is different from thinking:
"I must be perfect to be valuable."
Characteristics of Self-Esteem
Positive Aspects
Healthy self-esteem is often associated with:
- Joy
- Enthusiasm
- Energy
- Happiness
- Confidence
- Fulfilment
Negative Aspects
Low or unhealthy self-esteem may be associated with:
- Anxiety
- Fear
- Emptiness
- Confusion
- Dissatisfaction with appearance
- Excessive concern about others' opinions
Healthy Self-Esteem
Healthy self-esteem comes from recognising your inner value, rather than depending only on appearance, marks, popularity, money, or social approval.
Unhealthy Self-Esteem
Self-esteem can be negatively influenced by:
- Negative messages from parents, teachers, or peers.
- Repeated criticism.
- Difficult childhood experiences.
- Constant comparison with others.
However, past experiences do not have to permanently define your self-worth. Self-esteem can be developed and strengthened.
9. Ten Ways to Increase Self-Motivation
Here are ten practical ways to become more self-motivated:
- Take control of your own life.
- Accept responsibility for your choices and actions.
- Do not allow negative people to constantly put you down.
- Control the way you talk to yourself.
- Take carefully considered risks.
- Avoid comparing yourself with other people.
- Focus on your own growth and progress.
- Keep your promises to yourself and others.
- Accept success with humility and failure with dignity.
- Set meaningful goals and maintain your motivation.
10. Motivation Is a Journey
Motivation is not a destination that you reach once and then keep forever.
Some days you will feel energetic. On other days, you may feel tired, confused, or discouraged. That is normal.
The important thing is to continue moving forward.
Recognise your desire → Face your fears → Leave your comfort zone → Set goals → Develop discipline.
Small actions repeated consistently can produce significant results.
You do not need to change your entire life in one day. You only need to take the next right step.
Student Reflection Activity
Take five minutes and answer the following questions in your notebook:
- What are five values that are important to me?
- What is one major goal I want to achieve this year?
- What fear is stopping me from achieving it?
- What is one thing I can do outside my comfort zone this week?
- What negative statement do I often tell myself?
- How can I replace it with a positive and realistic statement?
- What one habit can I develop to become more disciplined?
- What is one strength that I appreciate about myself?
My Motivation Plan
My Goal: ______________________________
Why is this goal important to me? ______________________________
My biggest fear: ______________________________
One action I will take this week: ______________________________
One habit I will develop: ______________________________
My positive self-statement: ______________________________
Final Thought
Your values give you direction.
Your goals give you a destination.
Your motivation gives you energy.
Your discipline gives you consistency.
And your self-esteem gives you the confidence to believe that you are capable of growth.
Start small. Stay consistent. Learn from setbacks. Believe in your ability to improve.
Your future is not created by one big decision; it is created by the small decisions you make every day.
Source: Adapted from Cornerstone: Developing Soft Skills by Robert Sherfield, Rhonda Montgomery, and Patricia Moody, Pearson Publication, 2009, pp. 33, 51–52.







No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for posting